Friday, August 29, 2014

FEBRUARY 2, 2014: CHIANG MAI AT LAST, BAAN ORAPIN, DINNER-ARCOBALENO, SUNDAY NIGHT MARKET


February 2, 2014

     We are still on the train but getting closer to our destination.  Now that it's light we can see the scenery is nice, but nothing spectacular.  We have not slept at all so we don't plan to do any major sightseeing today.  At last we arrive in CHIANG MAI.  Given the disaster with the train tickets I decide to get our VIP Green Bus tickets going to Chiang Rai before we even check in to our hotel.  I'm not taking any chances!  We have our tuk tuk driver take us to the bus station where I buy tickets for February 7, 2014, seats 2B and 2C, departing at 10:15 am.  Price is 288 baht per person.  There's an ATM there so I withdraw 10000 baht.  Our driver gets us to our hotel but I didn't write the cost down.


Sun coming up

One of our stops Den Chai


These pictures my husband took of our train




















     BAAN ORAPIN  I booked this place on May 27, 2013 via e-mail with the property itself.  Rate for 5 nights was 10500 baht/2100 baht per night which includes breakfast and taxes.  I paid a 1500 baht deposit by following instructions on a link on their secure website.  If you pay the balance in cash you can get a 10% discount.  I did that so for 5 nights the total was 9600 baht instead of 10500 baht.  I saved 900 baht because the balance was 9000 baht.  It's a great deal for this lovely small property.  I think this is about $68 per night.  A great boutique bed and breakfast.  Built in the northern Lanna style with mature longen trees.  It consists of the original mansion and 3 guest buildings on a one acre compound.  There are gates close to the busy street which lead into the hotel.  I chose this hotel based on the great reviews on Trip Advisor plus it has a pool and it's not expensive.  This will be another good decision on my part as our stay here lives up to all the high praise this place gets.  Opas greets us and then introduces us to Pepsi.  We are shown where breakfast is served, the pool, a small library area.  These 2 charming men are a delight, especially Pepsi.  He and Opas will do anything and everything they can to make your stay at the hotel and your time in Chiang Mai to be a memorable experience.  They did not fail!  Our room is charming with a tiny seating area outside the door looking down to the gardens.  After unpacking and sorting some things for laundry we go to spend some time in the pool.  The pool is small but big enough to feel refreshed.

Door on the street leading inside to the hotel

Main building where breakfast is served and where the office and library are located



Our room is upstairs and to the right

Sitting area by the door to our room

View from the room









To the right in this picture is the breakfast area

Breakfast room


The pool may be on the small side but it's plenty big enough for a swim

     Dinner is at ARCOBALENO.  It is within walking distance from our hotel and as we walk we pass by a laundry just a few doors away from the hotel.   Before I realize it we've finished our dinner and I forgot to take pictures!  We were that hungry!  We had spaghetti primavera and chocolate ice cream for dessert which I did snap a picture of.  Bill came to 270 baht.  My feet are a bit swollen so the owner calls a tuk tuk for us back to the hotel.  Cost 30 baht.




     After changing my shoes into flip flops we decide to go to the Sunday night market which I'm told is a "must see" if in Chiang Mai on a Sunday night.  One way cost to the market area via tuk tuk is 100 baht.  We walk around, make a few purchases and spot a Boots store and a 7-11 store where I buy a few things I need.  Darn-my battery has died in my camera so I only was able to take a few pictures.  It was very crowded and I'm not keen on crowds so we decide to leave after an hour or so.  Time to find a way back to the hotel.  Another tuk tuk.  Wonder what the fare will be?  100 baht.  There must be an agreement among the drivers.
 






 

No comments:

Post a Comment