Wednesday, September 17, 2014

JANUARY 18, 2014: SHOPPING, APSARA SHOW AND DINNER



January 18, 2014

     Oh my, today is our last full day.  The time has gone by so fast and there's still so much more to see and do in Siem Reap.  What are we to do on this final day??  SHOPPING!!!

     First stop is a store to buy some sneakers.  Since our arrival in Cambodia my feet are swollen and I can't wear any of the shoes I packed except for my KEENS and my REEF flip flops.  In no time at all I have a pair of new, wide width sneakers $12.

     Next-ARTISANS D'ANGKOR We take the free tour (I tipped our tour guide Sophal at the end $3).  The workshops are located right next to the store and the tour is under 1 hr. and well worth the time.  We see silk painting, wood carving, stone carving, and more.  Very informative and lovely to know these young adults are being given the opportunity to have a future.  The craftsmanship is excellent.  I head to the store next and try to stay within my budget.  I buy a small sandstone bust of Jayavarman VII, a rough silk scarf in a pretty shade of bronze, and a red check scarf for my niece's daughter.  My husband is happy as I have stayed within my $100 (less actually) budget.  The store wraps these items so well that the bust arrives home with me 3 months later in pristine condition.


Silk painting


Gold leaf


Wood carving 

Stone carving





For sale

The store


     SENTEURS d'ANGKOR My 90 yr. old mom wants perfume in an unusual scent so I find Apsara for her.  I also buy some perfume and soap for myself. 

Driving in town




     Time for a treat as my shopping is done.  We head over to the BLUE PUMPKIN.  Ice cream time-dizzy treat and my husband has a boring chocolate sundae.  Cost $8.75 and worth every penny!

Can you guess which is which??

     Oh wait, look at that market.  It's the OLD MARKET and perfect for souvenirs for family back home.  I get baseball type hats that say Cambodia on them.  Tin Tin tee shirts for my grandson and others.  Change purses with elephants on them for the girls.  Prices were reasonable and you can bargain and save a bit here and there.




     For the tuk tuk stopping and waiting at all these places was $15.  The driver was not Narak as he wasn't available but someone else from the hotel's pool of tuk tuk drivers.   We arrive back to the hotel 1:00 pm and spend 3 hrs. at the pool.

     At 6:30 pm Narak is ready to take us to ANGKOR VILLAGE HOTEL for the Apsara show and dinner.  We're early and the building across from the hotel isn't open so we have some pre show drinks.  $4.50 for beer and tequila.  Finally we enter the building.  A hostess gives you a program and seats you.  The tables are long and low with cushions as seats.  For my 6'2" husband with long legs this was a bit uncomfortable for him.  Dinner is a sit down served meal.  As we're waiting for our food I decide to look at the program.  Wait, it's in French.  I get up to ask for one in English only to find they are out of them. (When I arrive home in April I will translate the program into English with the help of my computer)

Beautiful venue
Beer and tequila 

Long, low tables with cushions

Menu for dinner-fried spring rolls with sauces, chicken soup with lemongrass, green papaya salad with mango, "Saraman" pork with red spices, steamed fish in banana leaves, rice, carmelized pumpkin with coconut cream.  Service and food was very good.


Spring rolls


Chicken soup
Steamed fish

Caramelized pumpkin

Green papaya salad

Rice

"Saraman" pork


Show-all the performers were so graceful, the costumes beautiful, the music just right; loved it.
     Ballet of Apsaras, Dance of Fishermen, Dance of Mekhala which symbolizes the victory of good over evil, Dance of Coconuts, and the Legend of Reamker based on the Ramayana.
Cost for the dinner and show $25 pp.  Tuk tuk $8.

Ballet of Apsaras







Dance of Fishermen




Dance of Mekhala







Dance of Coconuts

Legend of Reamker




















Taking well deserved bows at the end of the show






     What an lovely way to end our time here in Siem Reap.  Now that I have spent time here I've even more upset that we lost 3 days of our time due to Jet Blue.  Some told me that 14 nights was too much time.  Well we had 11 nights/10 full days and that wasn't enough!  At least not for me.

     In the past whenever I heard about Angkor I thought it was just one temple.  Boy, was I wrong!  Even my husband enjoyed the temple sightseeing and I'm glad I added the non temple activities.
     These are the temples/sites we saw:
          CENTRAL ANGKOR-Angkor Wat, Phnom Bakheng, Baksei Chamkrong, Bayon, Baphoun, Phimeanakas, Tep Pranam, Preah Palilay, Elephant Terrace, Leper King Terrace, Angkor Thom.
          EASTERN ANGKOR-Chau Say Tevoda, Ta Nei, Ta Keo, Thommanon, Ta Prohm, Banteay Kdei, Sras Srang, Prasat Kravan.
          THE EAST BARAY-Pre Rup, East Mebon.
          NORTHEASTERN ANGKOR-Preah Khan, Neak Pean, Ta Som.
          ROLOUS-Preah Ko, Bakong, Lolei.
          FURTHER OUT-Banteay Srei, Kbal Spean, Beng Melea, Preah Vihear, Koh Ker.
          AND-Kulen Mountain, Phnom Bok

     We could never have covered these in just a few days.  We spent 8 of our 10 full days just on temples but that is mainly what I came to Siem Reap for.  We have met so many wonderful people and had so many great experiences.  Memories that will last for years.

   
       

                

No comments:

Post a Comment